Things to Keep in Mind for Room Draw

  • You must be registered for a full-time academic load (a minimum of 12 credits) to hold a room assignment through the summer.
  • You must pay your enrollment and room deposits by April 1st. These deposits must be RECEIVED by April 1st, not sent on April 1st. 
  • You will choose a room according to your class standing and the random lottery number that appears on your room draw sheet that will be sent to you via e-mail.
  • Only students who have paid both room and enrollment deposits may choose a room.
  • Only students whose student accounts are paid in full will be allowed to choose a room. Students can view their spring student billing account balance via mygoucher.  For Billing questions email the Billing office at  
  • To choose a room, you or your documented proxy must appear at room draw at the time appropriate for selection. Students who do not choose a room during room draw as scheduled will be assigned a space during the summer, on a space-available basis, after new students have been assigned.
  • You should report to the Heubeck Lounge on the day and time noted on your room draw sheet. Groups of students are called in numerical order to proceed to an area to check posted building floor plans that will indicate room availability.
  • History has shown that competition for singles is strong. We strongly suggest you come to room draw prepared to draw into a multiple-occupancy room.
  • You should come to room draw with several preferences in mind.
  • You may draw into a double-vacancy room if both roommates are present or one has a properly completed proxy form on file. If a single is not available, a student without a roommate preference must select a double room that has one remaining vacancy. If a student is drawing into a suite or apartment, he/she can participate in room draw with the roommate with the lowest lottery number.
  • The room you choose at room draw is the room in which you will live in the fall. No room changes will take place until after the third week of the fall semester.
  • If your roommate changes his/her plans and will not be returning to campus in the fall, another student will be assignedto the vacated space at the discretion of the Office of Community Living. We encourage you to confirm your future roommate's plans prior to choosing to room together. 

Students Who Require Special Housing Accommodations

If you require a Special Housing accommodation for next year, remember you must apply for those accommodations annually. The form is located here.

This form must be filled out by your health care practitioner. Documentation should be submitted to Student Health and Counseling Services Brown. Staff in these offices will make a decision as to whether special housing accommodations should be offered. Special Housing Accommodations must be approved each year. Students will be notified of their accommodation via email.

Policy Statement

All requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and documentation of a special need or disability does not guarantee your application will be approved. Assignments are made only if space is available. Assignment to a specific residence hall cannot be guaranteed. Learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, and most psychological disorders generally do not warrant special housing.

Proxies and Study Abroad

If you are unable to attend room draw, your proxy should bring the proxy form to housing selection. The proxy's selection is final.

Students on Leave of Absence

Students who are on a LOA and pay a deposit will be assigned housing after currently enrolled students have participated in room draw. If space is unavailable, students will be placed on a wait list.

Gender-Neutral Housing on Campus

Students who are interested in living in gender-neutral housing on campus should note that the on-campus program will be within Welsh and Gamble halls. Students who draw into these rooms will be able to secure rooms with fellow students of any gender. Suites in Welsh Hall can be co-ed by room.

Gender-neutral housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students may share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students' sex or gender. Gender-neutral housing supports the college's non-discrimination policy and fully commits to the principles of social justice with respect to sexual orientation, sex, gender, and gender identity. Gender-neutral housing provides housing options for students who may identify as transgender or are questioning their gender identity or do not wish to prescribe to gender classifications. Students who are uncomfortable with a same-sex roommate or who do not wish to have a same-sex roommate also have more housing options from which to choose.

Gender-neutral housing is not available for first-year students. Rooms are only gender-neutral when students agree to live together, and the housing process for first-year students does not allow for the appropriate agreement.