Dorothy Wyatt Stimson served Goucher College for 34 years as a Professor of History (1921-1955), Chairperson of the History Department, Academic Dean (1921-1947) and Acting President, the first woman to hold that position. She is arguably most well remembered for her role as dean: the bench outside her office where students waited to see her was the stuff of legends. She retired in 1955 and died in 1988, at the age of 97. Ironically, she had "once vowed she would never be a teacher" and "didn't plan to stay long" at Goucher. She was also one of only two professional historians to author service monographs of the U. S. Coast Guard during World War II. She authored the section on the "Women's Reserve" of which she was a commissioned Lieutenant.
This house is named for Frances R. Conner, class of 1902, who was Dean of Students from 1922-48.
Community Assistants: Elizabeth Depta and Leroy Williams
This house is named for Grace T. Lewis, class of 1913.
Community Assistants: Maria Susarchick, Christian Ribeiro and Chiara Draghi
Carrie Mae Probst graduated from the Woman's College of Baltimore (now Goucher College) in 1904, and settled in the Registrar's Office for 44 years. At the time of her retirement in 1948, she held the record for longest service to Goucher of any faculty or staff member. She was elected President of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars in 1947, only the second woman to hold that title. She died at the age of 93 in 1975. Carrie Mae Probst was indeed a giant, unbounded in energy, will and helpfulness to others.
Community Assistants: Kevin Rice, Sara Torgerson and Alycia Johnstone
This house is named for Hester Corner Wagner, class of 1920, trustee (1940-60) and recipient of the John Franklin Goucher Medal in 1960.
Community Assistants: Jenny Hopkins, Matthew Forgues, Katie Hall and Ishara Bullock
Clinton Ivan Winslow, Professor of Political Science, came to Goucher College in 1923. While first and foremost a teacher, he was also Chairman of the Faculty Planning Committee from 1938, the era during which the planning for the move to the Towson campus was conducted, until 1965, three years after his "retirement."
Community Assistants: Brendand Blackford, Kerry Michael