Living on campus is a great opportunity to begin to practice skills of independence and to learn about the process of self-governance. It takes a delicate balance to meet the needs of the individual and community in every case, and, as such, students are encouraged to bring ideas or concerns to the attention of Community Living staff.

General Safety Regulations
  • Residents should not prop open any exterior door.
  • Always lock your door.
  • Keys and OneCards issued to the student may not be loaned or transferred to others.
  • Door-to-door solicitation is prohibited in the residence halls. Contact the Office of Student Engagement for guidelines on campus sales. The Office of Public Safety should be contacted when a solicitor is observed in the residence halls.
  • Student grilling is permitted only at the permanent outdoor grills at Donnybrook II and the Heubeck patio, which must be reserved in advance through the Office of Student Engagement.
  • The house must agree, by consensus, to any personal gathering in a commons room. In addition, Community Living must approve any gathering of more than 15 people within the commons room, due to fire and safety issues. The commons room remains a public area even when personal gatherings are held there.
  • Hallways are not public assembly areas and should not be used as such, according to fire and safety regulations.
Alcohol and Other Drugs
  • A student must be at least 21 years old to consume, purchase, possess, or transport alcohol at any time.
  • No one, including those of legal drinking age, may provide alcohol to individuals under the age of 21 or consume alcohol of any kind in public areas of the residence halls, including hallways, bathrooms, commons rooms, and lounges.
  • Even if they are not drinking, students who are under the age of 21 are not permitted in rooms where alcohol is being consumed. Students who are of legal drinking age may not force, in any way, students under the age of 21 to leave their own residential room.
  • No multi-quart (mass-consumption) containers or kegs are permitted in the residence halls at any time.
  • Drinking games, including any activity that encourages the rapid and/or excessive ingestion of alcohol, are not permitted. Such games include, but are not limited to: quarters, beer pong, Beirut, power hour, and flip cup. Paraphernalia identified as having been used in a drinking game, including tables, may be confiscated by public safety officers and will become the property of the college.
  • State and federal laws and college policy prohibit the possession, use, distribution, or sale of illegal drugs in the residence halls.
  • The college will hold hosts responsible for their guests' use of alcohol or other drugs.
  • Residents are strongly advised to consult the Code of Conduct and the Policies on Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs for additional information, and they are responsible for compliance with all regulations set forth therein.
Common Rooms and Areas
The house must agree, by consensus, to any personal gathering in a commons room. In addition, the Office of Community Living must approve any gathering of more than 15 people within the commons room, due to fire and safety issues. Clubs are prohibited from meeting in any commons room area. The commons room remains a public area even when personal gatherings are held there. In addition, hallways are not public assembly areas and should not be used as such, according to fire and safety regulations.
Fire Alarms
  • Upon the activation of an alarm, all residents are expected to:
  • Evacuate the residence hall immediately
  • Report to the house's agreed upon meeting location
  • Students will be subject to disciplinary action and/or fines if they do not evacuate
  • Students should re-enter the building ONLY when instructed to do so by a Security Officer.
Fire Safety
  • Tampering with or misusing fire equipment (including smoke detectors) is prohibited. Such action may be referred to the legal authorities in addition to college action.
  • Candles and incense are not permitted in the halls.
  • No trash should be left in hallways at any time. Trash should be taken to the appropriate trash room.
  • The use of irons, hot pots, and coffee makers without an auto shut-off feature is prohibited.
  • Halogen lamps are not allowed in student rooms.
  • Only approved cooking appliances (ie. MicroFridge units) may be used in student rooms.
  • Only UL-approved extension cords in good condition may be used.
  • Smoking is not permitted in any residence hall. Smoking is not permitted in the Stimson breezeway. Residents should consult the college's policies on Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs for additional information.
  • No decorations or other items may be hung from the ceiling because they may interfere with the room's smoke alarm system.
  • No decorations or postings are permitted in hallways or public areas unless previously approved by Community Living. Exceptions to this policy include bulletin boards on individual room doors and House Council/community assistant bulletin boards in the residence halls.
  • Do not hang any item, including a hanger, clothing, or decorations, from the room's sprinkler head. Doing so could activate the sprinkler and cause flooding.
Visitation and Guests

Residents are responsible for the conduct of their guests or for any individual present in the room. Any individual, including a Goucher student who is not a resident of the house, is considered a guest. Hosts must escort their guest at any time the guest is in the residence halls. Visitation must not interfere with roommates' or neighbors' sleep or study. All residents of the room or apartment MUST approve overnight guests. No guest is permitted to stay overnight in a room or apartment for more than three consecutive nights unless the director of community living grants special permission. Gatherings in individual rooms or apartments should not exceed the following standards, according to fire safety regulations:

  • Singles: four people

  • Doubles/Triples: six people

  • Suites/Apartments: 13 people

Room Entry

As stated in the community living contract, college personnel may enter rooms in the event of an emergency, for health/safety reasons, or because of suspected violation of the law or school policy. Room inspections are conducted periodically and during each break by Community Living and/or security personnel. In instances where work requests are made to Facilities Management Services (FMS), the residents should state in advance if they wish to be present when the room is entered, and an appointment will be arranged. If no statement is made to this effect, the work will be completed in the residents' absence at the earliest possible time.

Property Damage and Loss

The college is not responsible for the loss of or damage to students' personal property.

Students are urged to:

  • Purchase surge protectors to guard against occasional electrical surges.
  • Record the serial numbers of valuable personal items.
  • Secure appropriate insurance.

As a precaution, students are also encouraged to take valuable belongings home during breaks. Residents are urged to confirm existing coverage under the homeowner's policy of their parents or guardians and, if not covered, to secure individual property insurance.

Damage to Individual Rooms

Damage within residence hall rooms/apartments is assigned to the occupants of the room (split equally unless someone acknowledges responsibility). At check-in, each resident should review a blank Room Condition Report (RCR) for his/her room. Residents are urged to complete this form carefully to protect them from being assessed charges for prior conditions. If any changes need to be made, the resident must contact the Office of Community Living within 48 hours of check-in. These changes will be noted on the master copy of the RCR, which is kept in the Office of Community Living.


Student room keys are issued through the Office of Community Living. When a student checks into the residence halls, he/she is issued a room key, and his/her OneCard is activated for access through residence hall exterior doors. Keys and OneCards are non-transferable, are not to be duplicated, and should not be loaned to others. Doing so jeopardizes one's personal safety and the safety of the entire community.

In the case of lost or broken keys, residents should notify the Office of Community Living immediately. All keys must be returned prior to departure from campus when a student withdraws, moves off campus, changes rooms, or checks out of the residence hall at the close of the academic year. For safety reasons, a lock change is required unless a broken or bent key is returned to Community Living. Charge for lost keys or keys not returned (includes lock change when necessary): $120. Replacement of bent or broken keys (with return of key): $15.

A resident who has been locked out of his/her room should report to the Office of Community Living during regular business hours, and to the Office of Public Safety after regular business hours. A staff member or an officer will accompany the resident to the room to unlock the door. If the resident has lost his/her key, the same procedure will be followed, but the resident will be authorized to keep the temporary key overnight. The resident should notify the Office of Community Living of the loss no later than the next business day. If the resident is concerned for his or her safety and has reason to believe that his/her room might be accessed with the lost keys, he/she should notify Public Safety immediately. Public Safety, upon request, will loan the resident a supplemental locking mechanism (glove lock) to offer additional security until the lock can be changed.

Reporting Repairs

When an item in the room, hall, or bathroom needs repair, the resident should notify FMS as soon as possible. This can be done by going to Residents are not responsible for normal wear and tear in the residence halls, but they are responsible for maintaining a community where individuals appropriately respect the physical facilities.


All bicycles that are used on campus by any member of the Goucher community must be registered with the Public Safety Office. There is no charge for bicycle registration. To register a bike, you will need a valid Goucher I.D. and a complete description of the bicycle. Bicycles may not be parked in stairwells, breezeways, hallways, or other public areas inside of any campus building, per Baltimore County Fire Code Regulations. Goucher College is not responsible for lost or stolen bicycles.


For reasons of safety, humaneness, and group hygiene, students may not keep pets in the residence halls, except for birds and fish (in aquariums of 10 gallons or less). All roommates must agree to allowing the aforementioned pets in the room/suite/apartment.

The college reserves the right to limit the type and number of birds or fish permitted.

For more information, see the college's official pet policy.

Damage Charges and Billing

Each student is responsible for an equal share of the cost of damages incurred in the individual room/apartment (split among roommates). Following the closing of the residence halls, Facilities Management Services (FMS) inspects all residence hall areas and generates a list of damages and cost estimates. Each proposed charge is compared to the RCR completed during check-in, which noted any pre-existing damage. Items not noted on the RCR will be charged to the student.

How to Avoid Unnecessary Billing
  • Confront community members and guests about inappropriate behavior to decrease the occurrence of senseless vandalism.
  • Speak up. When an act of vandalism is observed, the information should be brought immediately to the attention of the Office of Public Safety. In virtually all incidents of vandalism, there are individuals who have observed the actual incident or know others who did. Community members should not tolerate others who choose to allow the group to suffer for their actions.
  • The Office of Community Living should be consulted during the year to check the status of house damages. Residents should help the community assistant strategize ways to address such issues.
  • All pre-existing conditions and damages to the room should be documented in specific terms on the RCR during check-in.
  • Nails should not be hammered into the walls (use only removable items, such as Fun Tack).
  • All residues should be carefully removed from walls and doors prior to departure.
  • All problems in the room or apartment should be reported to the CA at move-in so a work order can be filed with Facilities Management Services.
  • Rooms, apartments, and public areas of the house should be left in the condition they were found.

For safety and energy conservation, limits are placed on the possession and use of electrical appliances in the residence halls. Residents should be sensitive to the demands placed on the electrical circuits.

These items are allowed in residence hall rooms:

  • Computers
  • MicroFridge units
  • Clocks
  • Stereos
  • Televisions
  • Hair dryers/ curling irons
  • Electric toothbrushes
  • Electric curlers
  • Fans
  • Lamps (NOT halogen lamps)
  • Refrigerators (four cubic feet or smaller)
  • 14-gauge wire UL-approved extension cords
  • Irons (with auto shut-off feature ONLY)
  • Coffee pots/ hot pots (with auto shut-off feature ONLY)

These are allowed only in house kitchens or commons rooms:

  • Toasters
  • Popcorn poppers

These are prohibited from residence halls:

  • All other electrical appliances, including but not limited to:
  • Hot "coil" pots (without auto-shut off feature)
  • Broilers
  • Electric frying pans
  • Toaster ovens
  • Inadequately wired appliances
  • Microwave ovens
  • Space heaters
  • Personal air conditioners
  • Halogen lamps

Please note: Goucher reserves the right to place any unauthorized or dangerous appliances in storage at the student's expense until the student can arrange to have it removed from campus

  • Electrical wiring must not be disturbed, including wiring leading to fire safety equipment. Installation or alteration of electrical equipment is to be done only by Facilities Management Services personnel or college-approved contractors.
  • All electrical lighting fixtures must be UL approved.
  • Students are urged to purchase surge protectors and to limit their concurrent use of electrical appliances. The college reserves the right to limit the wattage used in each room.
  • Outside aerials and radio-sending equipment are not permitted.
  • Unauthorized access to cable television is prohibited.