As the end of the semester approaches, please read the following important information to help you prepare for winter closing:
Quiet hours for the reading period will be in effect from Friday, December 9th, 2016 at 11:59 pm through the closing of the residence halls on Friday, December 16th, 2016. During this time, 24-hour quiet hours are in effect. Any gatherings and behavior disruptive to other residents will not be tolerated, and multiple offenses will result in student fines.
Dining hours during finals week:
- Heubeck will run on normal hours until 12/15 and close at 5pm on Friday 12/16
- Stimson will run on normal hours until 12/15 and close at until 7pm on Friday 12/16
- Alice's will run on extended hours (until 2am) until 12/15 and close at 5pm on Friday 12/16
- Van Meter will not be open
- Students needing Kosher meals after 12/12 should contact Norman Zwagil at email@example.com
The residence halls close for winter break on Friday, December 16th, 2016 at 10 p.m. All residents should plan to be out of the residence halls by this date. Students with exams before Friday, December 16th are encouraged to leave the residence halls within 24 hours of completing their last exam. Please remember that during the break, health and safety inspections occur in each student room. Any observed violations of the law or campus policy will be reported to the appropriate parties and could lead to student fines or judicial action. Items will be confiscated from rooms.
Before departure, residents must do the following:
- Sign up for a checkout time on their RA's door. Residents must sign up at least 24 hours before their departure. Residents should be ready to leave the residence hall at the time of checkout. For winter break, only the last resident to leave each room needs to sign up for a checkout time.
- Defrost, clean, and unplug any mini-refrigerator in their assigned room. Students should consider placing a towel under the device as it defrosts to keep water puddles to a minimum. It is not necessary to unplug fridges in on-campus apartments.
- Remove all food from their assigned room and take all garbage to the residence hall's trash room. FMS will remove any improperly stored food, and charges the residents of the room.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances.
- Take home any approved pets, such as fish or birds.
- Take home all valuables. Residents should check to make sure they have left no personal belongings in the common or laundry rooms.
- For students with radiators in their rooms, turn the valve on. Keeping the heat on will help pipes from freezing.
- Move any furniture at least 3 inches away from the heating units to avoid any potential fire risks and for FMS to do maintenance work over the break.
- Ensure the window screens are in place, the windows are closed and locked, and the blinds are down.
- Upon departing, lock the doors to their assigned room.
For students not returning in the spring or switching rooms:
Students not returning next semester for any reason should return their room key to the Office of Residential Life no later than Friday, December 16th, 2016.
Students switching rooms for the spring semester need to have all of their belongings out of their room and their key returned to the Office of Residential Life no later than Friday, December 16th, 2016. Students switching rooms will be offered storage through the Office of Residential Life to help accommodate their transition to their new room in the spring. Students moving into new rooms in the spring will be able to pick up their new keys when they return to campus in January.
Failure to return keys to the Office of Residential Life by Friday, December 16th will result in a $120 charge. Students moving into another room must be sure to remove all trash and leave their room in a clean and orderly fashion upon their departure. Failure to do so will result in a room cleaning fee.
Travel extensions (for students needing to stay on campus a few extra days):
Students who need extra time before they depart can request to stay on campus by completing the Winter Extended Stay application. Students will only be permitted to stay until the evening of Sunday, December 18th, 2016. The Winter Extended Stay Application is available on Residence, our online housing software. Click here for a link to residence.
Campus will be closed from December 24th, 2016 to January 2nd, 2017. Students who wish to return to campus during the January term must fill out a Winter Break Housing & Early Arrival 2017. Students participating in official J-Term or college programs do not need to fill out this application.For more information on this process, please refer to our Winter Housing Email, which was sent out on November 29th, 2016. To access the application, click here.Storage:
The Office of Residential Life offers on-campus storage to current Goucher students on a space available basis. Payments can be made using cash or Gopher Bucks, and students may store items for up to a full year. For more information on our storage policies, click here.
The Office of Residential Life will be selling boxes and space starting Wednesday, December 7th, 2016. Students can place their items in the Heubeck storage unit from 10am - 12pm & 2pm- 4pm on the following days:
· Friday, December 9th, 2016 • Monday, December 12th, 2016 through Friday, December 16th, 2016Thank you for your attention to this email. Please feel free to contact the Office of Residential Life at 410.337.6424 or ResidentialLife@goucher.edu with any questions or concerns
For information about staying on campus during breaks, click here.