As the end of the semester approaches, please read the following important information to help you prepare for winter closing:
Quiet hours for the reading period will be in effect from Friday, December 5th, 2014, at 11:59 p.m. through the closing of the residence halls. During this time, quiet must be maintained at all times in the residence halls. Any gatherings and behavior that is disruptive to other residents is not acceptable.
The residence halls close for winter break on Thursday, December 12th, 2014, at 10 p.m. All residents should coordinate their travel plans accordingly. Please remember that during the break, health and safety inspections are completed in each student room, in accordance with the residence hall contract. Any observed violations of law, regulation, or campus policy will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
We strongly encourage you to leave the residence halls within 24 hours of completing your last final exam. If you stay beyond this period, please remember that other students are preparing for final exams. Therefore, it is especially important to be respectful of their needs as they finish the semester.
Before you depart, please prepare your room for the break by completing the following:
- Sign up for a checkout time on your CA’s door before you leave. Residents must sign up at least 24 hours in advance. You should be ready to leave the residence hall at the time of your checkout. (For winter break, only the last resident to leave each room needs to sign up for a time.)
- Defrost, clean, and unplug your refrigerator.
- Remove all food and garbage from your room to avoid attracting pests.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances (computers, lights, fans, alarms).
- Take home your pet fish and birds.
- Take home all valuables.
- Turn your radiator valve on to avoid freezing pipes.
- Replace any screens and close and lock all windows.
- Lock your door.
- If you are not returning to your room the next semester, all of your belongings must be moved out and your room key must be returned to Community Living.
- Remember to take your student ID and keys with you.
The residence halls reopen on Sunday, January 25, 2015, at 9 a.m. Due to safety concerns and staffing constraints, we can only accommodate early arrivals in extreme circumstances, or if you are approved through an academic or extracurricular program. Students will be notified of the early-arrival application process in early January.
If you are not returning next semester due to graduation, study abroad, or other reasons, you should move all belongings from your room and return your room key to Community Living no later than December 12, 2014. Be sure to remove all trash and leave your room in a clean and orderly fashion by the close of this semester.
Thank you for your attention to these procedures. For those of you not returning after the break, we wish you all the best in the coming semester. For all others, we look forward to seeing you on January 26.
Good luck on finals and have a wonderful and restful break!
For information about staying on campus during breaks, click here.