Dorothy Wyatt Stimson served Goucher College for 34 years as a professor of history (1921-1955); chair of the History Department; academic dean (1921-1947); and acting president, the first woman to hold that position. She is arguably most well-remembered for her role as dean: The bench outside her office where students waited to see her was the stuff of legends.
She retired in 1955 and died in 1988, at age 97. Ironically, she had once vowed she would "never be a teacher" and "didn't plan to stay long" at Goucher. She was also one of only two professional historians to author service monographs of the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II. She wrote the section on the "Women's Reserve," of which she was a commissioned lieutenant.
Stimson Hall, sometimes nicknamed "Stimmy" is home to the main dining hall on campus. Although singles are available for upperclassmen, rooms in Stimson are gernally offered to first-year students. Stimson also houses our campus's Hillel space, which is a communtiy space for students who identify as Jewish, but is also open to the greater Goucher community. Stimson also includes a wonderful courtyard that is accessible from all of the houses in Stimson and also features artwork produced by the "Stimson Beuftification Project" which was a student led project.
This house is named for Frances R. Conner, class of 1902, who was dean of students from 1922 to 1948.
This house is named for Grace T. Lewis, class of 1913.
Carrie Mae Probst graduated from the Woman's College of Baltimore (now Goucher College) in 1904 and settled in the Registrar's Office for 44 years. At the time of her retirement in 1948, she held the record for longest service to Goucher of any faculty or staff member. She was elected president of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars in 1947, only the second woman to hold that title. She died at age 93 in 1975. Carrie Mae Probst was indeed a giant, unbounded in energy, will, and helpfulness to others.
This house is named for Hester Corner Wagner, class of 1920, trustee (1940-1960), and recipient of the John Franklin Goucher Medal in 1960.
Clinton Ivan Winslow, professor of political science, came to Goucher College in 1923. While first and foremost a teacher, he was also chair of the Faculty Planning Committee from 1938, the era during which the planning for the move to the Towson campus was conducted, until 1965, three years after his "retirement."