There are many ways to get involved with Community Service and Social Justice programs.
- Join in one of Goucher's weekly volunteer opportunities;
- Join the Community Service listserv to learn more about one-time and periodic service events with one of our many community partners;
- Get involved with one of Goucher's many service or justice oriented student clubs, or volunteer through Athletics or Spiritual and Religious Life;
- Apply to be on the Social Justice Committee, a body within Goucher Student Government;
- Take a Community-Based Learning course;
- Participate in a community-based internship;
- Apply to be a Student Leader for Civic Action, a student director for one of our weekly volunteer opportunities.
Goucher's weekly volunteer opportunities offer a range of experiences for students to volunteer in schools, nonprofit organizations, and social service agencies throughout the Greater Baltimore area. For example, Goucher students can volunteer weekly as tutors and mentors with Baltimore City Public Schools. Popular programs include Barclay Gardening Club, an after-school program that specializes in cooking, nutrition, gardening, and environmental science, or Read-a-Story/Write-a-Story, an creative literacy program for K-5 students specializing in storytelling, creative writing, and reading. Students with Federal Work-Study can serve as reading and math tutors with our signature Goucher Scholars Tutoring program, currently serving the 29th Street Community Center and Barclay Elementary School. Additionally, students can volunteer through partnerships with TALMAR Horticultural Therapy Center, Patrick Allison House, Hampden Family Center, Youth Empowered Society Drop-in Center, Earl's Place, Refugee Youth Project, and more. Students can also volunteer with the Futuro Latino Learning Center or the Goucher Prison Education Partnership, programs supported through Community-Based Learning.
Please contact Lindsay K. Johnson '05, associate director of community-based learning and community service programs (410-337-6262, firstname.lastname@example.org), if you have any questions about community service opportunities or would like to know more about a work-study position within the Community Service Program.