At Goucher, community matters. We know that relationships are a prerequisite for learning, the central motivators of the student experience, and often the most treasured results of college. That's why we've set aside a time each Wednesday from 1:15-2:30 p.m. for the Common Hour – a time where students, faculty, and staff come together as a community to discuss ideas, support one another, engage in conversation, and participate in activities.
- No classes are scheduled during this time
- No other organized meeting, course, or student-activities are to be scheduled on the fourth Wednesday of the month
Fall 2017 Common Hour Schedule
- First Wednesday of the month – open faculty meeting, staff and students are welcome to attend
- Second Wednesday of the month – student-focused event
- Third Wednesday of the month – open time for community meetings and events
- Fourth (and sometimes Fifth) Wednesday of the month – community-wide event
October 18 – Faculty meeting in Heubeck; Jam Session with José in the Athenaeum Forum
October 25 – Community Common Hour: Interfaith Conversation on the Meaning of Suffering
November 1 – Open Faculty Meeting
November 8 – Student event; Center meetings
November 15 – Town Hall with President Bowen
November 22 – Thanksgiving break
November 29 – Community Common Hour: Interfaith Wedding Expo in the Athenaeum Forum
December 6 – Open Faculty meeting
December 13 – Finals week
Submit a Common Hour Proposal
If you'd like to host a Common Hour event, please fill out this form. The Common Hour selection committee, which is comprised of students, faculty, and staff will determine which events get selected for Common Hours which occur on the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays of the month.
Upcoming Common Hour Events
- November 29, 2017
Everything you need to know to attend a wedding of a different religion or culture. Come and learn about who wears what color and why; where weddings typically happen, and...