Facilitate, Engage, Support, & Acclimate Students to Goucher College
- Students will be active, involved, and informed advisees who understand how to navigate the college registration process, know the resources available on campus, are able to develop a four-year plan for a course of study, and make informed decisions about their study abroad choice as a means to enhance their learning.
- Students will identify with and become involved in the Goucher community.
- Students will understand and accept the expectations placed upon them and will strive for excellence in all academic endeavors.
- Students will appreciate and value learning as a lifelong learning process.
- Students will learn to explain choices and decisions with clarity.
Responsibilities of the Advisee
- Know how to contact your adviser and prepare for advising meetings
- Know how to navigate the registration process
- Formulate a four-year academic plan
- Know the requirements for your major(s) and minor(s)
- Select courses based on knowledge of interests, strengths, and requirements and be able to justify choices
- Select a study abroad opportunity that enhances your educational experience
- Know how to look at and evaluate your academic plan and transcript on line
- Know what services are available for support at the college
- Know what it takes to be a successful student
- Know how to be a member of the Goucher community
Responsibilities of the Adviser
- Assist in formulating an academic plan
- Explain general education, major, and other curricular requirements
- Meet with student on a regular basis to discuss his/her academic interests
- Recommend opportunities for personal and academic growth
- Aid student in making connections, making sense, and making informed decisions about their needs in order to succeed at the college
- Interpret institutional procedures
- Refer students to specific campus or community resources that help with unique needs
- Encourage students to meet with professors, or refer to appropriate academic resources on campus
- Help identify activities and programs on campus that reflect student's interest