- What are Google Apps?
- Why are we using Google Apps?
- How do I create my Google Apps at Goucher account?
- How do I log in to my Google Apps at Goucher account?
- Who is eligible to obtain a Google Apps at Goucher account?
- Since Google Apps cannot access the Global Address List, how can I look up the email address of a faculty or staff member?
- How can faculty and staff locate my Google Apps email address?
- How do I change my Google Apps at Goucher password?
- What services are included in my Google Apps at Goucher account?
- Can I log on to other Google-sponsored services with my Google Apps at Goucher username and password (i.e., blogger.com)?
- What options do I have for accessing email?
- Where can I find more information?
1. What are Google Apps?
A bridge between our organization and Google products. On one side, we have communication and collaboration needs for our students. On the other side, there are successful, innovative, online personal Google products. Google Apps allows us to embrace the strengths of both sides.
Google quality, Google connectivity. Our school, our people. Powerful, easy-to-use tools. Communicate via email, and instant messaging. Create and share calendar events, documents, and spreadsheets. Access it all from one place - the Start Page.
2. Why are we using Google Apps?
To bring together essential communication applications. To improve productivity and communication. We can focus on student needs and adding value to the experience while Google focuses on building excellent products, maintaining the feature set, and innovating our communication options for tomorrow.
Our goal is to offer you a reliable, practical, secure, feature-rich webmail environment. We think Google can help.
We can focus on the core values of our school, such as student relationships, and let Google leverage its extensive operational experience with security and privacy.
3. How do I create my Google Apps at Goucher account?
All incoming undergraduate students starting in Fall 2008 will be automatically given a Google Apps at Goucher account.
Existing students will have the opportunity to migrate their @goucher.edu email account to an @mail.goucher.edu Google Apps account during the Fall 2008 semester. More details will be provided in September in regards to existing students who have Exchange email accounts.
4. How do I log in to my Google Apps at Goucher account?
Students who have been provisioned with a Google Apps account, can log in from https://mail.goucher.edu
5. Who is eligible to obtain a Google Apps at Goucher account?
Currently, this service is available to undergraduate and post bacc students automatically. Graduate students can request a Google Apps account by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are not opening this service up to Faculty and Staff at this time.
6. Since Google Apps cannot access the Global Address List, how can I locate the email address of a faculty or staff member?
The faculty and staff directory is located at http://www.goucher.edu/directory. Once the address located in the directory, simply cut and paste the address into your webmail "To:" field. Gmail will remember who you've sent to in the past so you will only need to do this once per contact.
7. How can faculty or staff locate my Google Apps email address?
Student email address will be published in the Global Address List (GAL) just as they always have been. When someone looks up a student in the GAL, the email message will be delivred directly to the student's Google Apps account.
8. How do I change my Google Apps at Goucher password?
Students will use their same GCADMIN or Goucher network credentials to access the Google Apps. This password is required to be changed every 180 days and can be changed at http://password.goucher.edu.
9. What services are included in my Google Apps at Goucher account?
The current suite of services offered by Google Apps for Education includes: Mail, Calendar, Docs, Talk, and Start Page. As Google develops new tools, Goucher and Google will collaborate to bring them to you.
10. Can I log on to other Google-sponsored services with my Google Apps at Goucher username and password (i.e., blogger.com)?
Currently, Google does not allow for Google Apps for Education accounts to access all of their services. However, Google is working to bring more applications to the education environment so as they become available, we will announce them to you.
11. What options do I have for accessing email?
The primary option is webmail(Gmail) - http://mail.goucher.edu
It's packed with exciting features and integrated with other Google services. In your online email account, you can chat with your contacts, create filters to organize your inbox before new mail arrives, schedule calendar events, map addresses in your messages, and track postal packages.
Alternative access options include:
Configuring instructions are very similar to Gmail. In your mail client, anytime you're asked for an email address, enter your username followed by @mail.goucher.edu(email@example.com).
The incoming server is still pop.gmail.com and outgoing server is smtp.gmail.com. For more client-specific instructions, such as Outlook Express, visit http://google.com/support/a/users/bin/answer.py?answer=12103.
Connect to the web. Enter http://mail.google.com/a/mail.goucher.edu, and select OK. Bookmark the location for later.
If you have a BlackBerry, you can download the mail application. Navigate to http://m.google.com/a. It has most of the webmail features - search and conversation view. With automatic syncing, actions taken on your Blackberry are reflected in your email account.
This is separate from the Gmail for mobile application. A red M icon will appear for Gmail and a blue M icon will appear for our Google Apps email.
12. Where can I find more information?
THe Google Help center is located here: http://www.google.com/support/a/users
Additionally, the Goucher College Information Technology Help Desk is the primary contact for all technology related questions. Click here.