This frequently asked questions page is for faculty and staff members that check their email using the MAC email client version known as Entourage.
- This is my first time using Entourage. Does it need to be setup or is it ready for use?
- What are the basic features?
- How do I setup a signature?
- Does Entourage have a built-in junk email filter?
- How do I access public folders?
- How do I access the Goucher College address book?
- How do I setup a meeting?
- How do you view other people’s calendars?
- Can I set an Out of Office message in Entourage?
- I’d like to create a group of emails. How can I do that?
- From time to time, Entourage asks me to enter my password but doesn’t accept it. How do I resolve this issue?
Entourage needs to be setup by a technician before using. Please contact the Help Desk if you notice that it doesn’t go to your inbox when you launch the application. Once Entourage is setup, please make sure you have downloaded any updates to Microsoft Office by going to Applications and double-clicking on Microsoft AutoUpdate.
When you open Entourage it will open to the view you were last in. Entourage has six main views:
- Mail. Read, compose and send email.
- Address Book. View and modify your contacts.
- Notes. Leave yourself notes.*
- Tasks. Schedule tasks for yourself.*
- Project Center. Create and track projects.*
- Calendar. View and modify your appointments.
These views can be accessed using the large labeled icons always present in the upper left hand corner of the main window. When you switch views other aspects of the interface will change to suite the task you are doing.
*These items are stored on your local computer; not on the mail server. If you use them, they will not be backed up to our mail server.
- Go to the main mail view (close any open messages).
- Select Signatures from the Tools menu.
- Double-click Standard. This will open a window letting you type and format the contents of the signature.
- When you’ve finished creating the signature click the red close dot at the upper left hand corner of the window.
- Click Save when you’re prompted by the dialog box.
- Close the Signatures window.
When you’re ready to add signatures to your messages simply select Signatures from the Accounts menu.
Yes, Entourage does have a junk email filter that works pretty much like Outlook. In fact, when you startup Entourage for the first time you may be shown a window reporting “Junk Email Found”. If you do get this message, click on the Junk Email Protection button to make setting changes. Otherwise, you can access the junk email filter by performing the following:
- Go to the Tools menu and select Junk Email Protection.
- Select High and click OK.
- Check Junk E-mail folder under Folders on My Computer from time to time to move wanted emails back into your inbox.
- Select unwanted messages and click Delete.
To view public folders:
- Click the Mail icon.
- Locate the Public Folders icon in the listing of folders under your Goucher account.
- Click the arrow next to All Public Folders. At this point your computer will begin to download data from the Public Folders. This might take a little time.
- Locate the Public Folder you are looking for and click it. There may be sub folders so click on the arrows to reveal them.
You can also post or reply to posts in Public Folders. However, you may not have permission to post into a given Public Folder. Check with the Help Desk or the department who uses the folder if you feel you need to be given access. If you experience any problems with Public Folders, first try to perform an Office update.
To find email addresses of members of the Goucher College community perform the following:
- Create a New email message.
- In the To: field type the last name of the person you would like to send a message to.
- Click on the Check Name button to find the exact name from our directory.
Once the name has been found and used at least once, the name will become a part of a list of recently used addresses for quicker reference.
To invite others to appointments on your calendar follow these steps:
- While in the Calendar view click the date you want to add the appointment to.
- Click the New button on the top of the window. A window will appear asking you to fill in the details of the appointment.
- Click the Invite icon. You will be presented with a window similar to addressing an email.
- On top of that, a window will appear asking to whom you want to send the message. In the To: field you can type the email address of the people you want to send the invite to.
- If you are sending to people at Goucher you can simply type their name and then click the Check Names button.
- If you want to select from your contacts click the icon of the person with the address book and then select as many recipients as you want.
- When you have entered all the information you need click the Send Now icon. This saves the appointment on your calendar and sends invitations to the people you selected.
To view other people’s calendars you must first have been granted permission by the person. Once you have permission, follow these steps to access the calendar:
- Select Open Other User’s Folder from the File menu.
- A window will appear asking you to enter another user’s username. Type the person’s username in the field and click OK. If you don’t know the username then follow these steps:
- Click on the icon of a person with an address book. A new window will appear that will let you search for a user based on more detailed information.
- If the search finds the person you want, click their name and then OK.
- Click OK to close the Open Other User’s Folder window. The calendar of the other person will appear as an icon in the list of calendars appearing on the left side of the screen.
- Click the icon with the person’s name to see their calendar.
Regrettably, Entourage does not include an Out of Office Assistant like the one present in Outlook for PCs. However, you can still set an automated out of office message using Outlook Web Access (OWA). For instructions on how to setup out of office message in OWA, visit the www.goucher.edu/it website and go to the Email section.
To create a group of emails (a distribution list), follow these instructions:
- In the Address Book view, click on Add Group at the top of the screen.
- Give the group a name such as My Class.
- Click in the large white box below to add email addresses. Click once, type in the first email address, click again to type in a second and so on until all the addresses have been added.
- Click on the disk (Save icon) and close the window.
Restart Entourage by closing the program and re-opening. If that does not resolve the problem then restart the computer. Please contact the Help Desk if you continue to experience problems.