Apply online at the link below:
To be considered for admission into the Creative Nonfiction program, an applicant must hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
The application must contain these items:
- A completed application and a nonrefundable $75 application fee made payable to Goucher College.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work sent directly by the institution to the Welch Center for Graduate and Professional Studies. Official transcripts may also be included with the application, but only if they are in the institution's sealed envelope.
- Two letters of recommendation from people who can provide an informed opinion of the applicant's writing ability and capacity for self-directed study. The recommendation process is completed online through the application portal but paper forms are available upon request. At the discretion of the program director and director of admissions additional letters of recommendation may be requested.
- One copy of a double-spaced 25- to 35-page writing sample of original nonfiction writing, published or unpublished. The writing sample may be one long piece or several shorter ones. It should demonstrate an ability to write a more creative form of creative, or narrative, nonfiction.
- One copy of a double-spaced three- to five-page personal statement that addresses the applicant's expectations for the program, professional writing goals and interests, and reasons for seeking the MFA in Creative Nonfiction. The statement should also demonstrate writing ability.
We are currently accepting applications for Spring 2017. Fall 2017 application dates will be coming soon.
|Spring 2017 Admissions Deadline|
|Scholarship Deadline||Dec. 1, 2016|
|Final Deadline||Dec. 1, 2016|
Application materials should be forwarded to:
Master of Fine Arts in Creative Nonfiction
Welch Center for Graduate and Professional Studies
1021 Dulaney Valley Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21204-2794
Students accepted into the program must submit an enrollment agreement along with a nonrefundable $500 deposit to hold a place in the program. This deposit will be credited toward tuition charges for the next semester.
Students should also check with their employers regarding possible financial assistance. Please note that the cost of on-campus room and board during residences is not covered by financial aid, and that international students are not eligible for financial aid.
To help defray the cost of the program, you may apply for a Federal Direct Stafford or Direct Graduate PLUS Loan. Eligibility for the Federal Direct Loans is based on need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students receiving Federal Loans are required to take a minimum of 4.5 credits per semester. To determine eligibility for these loans, please complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov. Some applicants will be required to submit additional information. We encourage all students to use the Financial Aid Student Tracking System (FASTS) to learn the status of your financial aid file. For more information click here.
Students should also check with their employers regarding possible financial assistance.
Please note that the cost of on-campus residency room and board is not covered by financial aid and that international students are not eligible for financial aid. The fall semester begins on the first day of the on-campus residency and continues through the end of the off-campus portion.
Goucher College is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 135.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.