The Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree is a certification program designed to prepare college graduates who wish to enter the teaching profession, but who have not had adequate preparation for teaching. The program is based on the assumption that through a curriculum carefully balanced in theory and practice, participants can acquire the knowledge and skills needed for teaching general and/or special education students. The program is completed with a yearlong internship or supervised teaching experience guided both by a member of the Goucher faculty and by a cooperating or helping teacher at a professional development school (PDS).
Designed to prepare well-qualified teachers, this intensive program develops the skills to meet the following standards:
- Planning shows content knowledge and embraces developmental and diverse student needs;
- Management for student behavior maximizes a positive learning environment;
- Instructional practices complement student needs and encourage problem solving and critical thinking;
- Assessments evaluate instruction and student learning; and
- Professionalism and interpersonal relationships maintained.
Please join our e-mail list so that we may send you more information about Goucher College Graduate programs as it becomes available. Course offerings and registration details will be sent via this list.