Special Education, Initial Teaching Certification
Special Education Certification cohort is ideal for those who are currently teaching under a conditional teaching certificate or for those who wish to earn special education certification. The courses in this cohort will count towards Goucher College's MSDE-approved Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree with Special Education Certification (either grades 1-8 or 6-adult). If you are already certified in Elementary Education or a content area, the courses in this cohort can help prepare you to take and pass the Praxis II Special Education Exams which are required to add Special Education Certification (either grades 1-8 or 6-adult) to your existing certificate.
The courses are offered at a reduced tuition rate. All teachers will pay a $180.00 per 3 credits registration fee.
- AACPS will be billed for the courses at the current reimbursement rate ($750 for a 3 credit class). Those not eligible for tuition reimbursement will be billed $930 per 3 credit course.
- Participants are required to complete each course in the cohort with a grade of B or higher. (Any participant who does not complete the course or does not earn a grade of B or higher will be responsible for paying the tuition directly to Goucher College).
- Students who withdraw after the first class are subject to the withdrawal policies of Goucher College.
If you need to customize this schedule to comply with your school system tuition reimbursement requirements, please contact Ava Norris at Ava.Norris@goucher.edu or 410-337-6488.
ED 686.200 (3 Credits)
Foundations of Special Education
ED 688.200 (3 credits)
ED 689.200 (3 credits)
ED 690.200 (3 credits)
ED 691.200 (3 credits)
A total of 18 credits will be offered as part of our cohort at a reduced tuition
- ED 681.200, Curriculum Development for a Multicultural Society
- ED 686.200, Foundations of Special Education
- ED 688.200, Educational Assessment and Diagnosis of Students with Special Needs I
- ED 689.200, Educational Assessment and Diagnosis of Students with Special Needs II
- ED 690.200, Curriculum Design and Adaptations for Students with Special Needs I
- ED 691.200, Curriculum Design and Adaptations for Students with Special Needs II
How to Apply?
This cohort is available to the first 30 students to apply and be accepted. To apply, complete the cohort application/registration form and return it to the address below with a copy of your teacher certification, or a transcript from your most recently completed undergraduate or graduate course of study.
Graduate Programs in Education in the Welch Center
1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore, MD 21204
Ph: 410-337-6047 | Fax: 410-337-6085