Reading Instruction (Reading Teacher and Reading Specialist)
The Reading Instruction (Reading Teacher and Reading Specialist) cohort supports the county efforts to prepare literacy professionals who will provide leadership for the school reading program. The Reading Instruction cohort can lead to reading teacher endorsement (12 credits required) or reading specialist certification. The courses offered in the cohort can be applied toward either the M.Ed. with specialization in Reading Instruction or the Professional Development Certificate in Reading Instruction (for those who already possess a master's degree). Both of these programs are MSDE-approved programs for Reading Specialist certification.
The courses are offered at a reduced tuition rate. All teachers will pay a $180.00 per 3 credits registration fee.
- AACPS will be billed for the courses at the current reimbursement rate ($750 for a 3 credit class). Those not eligible for tuition reimbursement will be billed $930 per 3 credit course.
- Participants are required to complete each course in the cohort with a grade of B or higher. (Any participant who does not complete the course or does not earn a grade of B or higher will be responsible for paying the tuition directly to Goucher College).
- Students who withdraw after the first class are subject to the withdrawal policies of Goucher College.
If you need to customize this schedule to comply with your school system tuition reimbursement requirements, please contact Ava Norris at Ava.Norris@goucher.edu or 410-337-6488.
ED 626.200 (3 Credits)
Diagnosis of Reading Difficulties
ED 636.200 1st 7 Weeks (1.5 Credits)
Overview of Reading Intervention Strategies
ED 637.200 (3 credits)
Pre-requisites: ED 625, 626, 638, 639
ED 638A.200 2nd 7 Weeks (1.5 Credits)
ED 639.200 (3 Credits)
ED 647.200 1st 7 Weeks (1.5 credits)
Remedial Reading Techniques for Students with Severe Reading Difficulties - Lindamood Bell, Visualizing & Verbalizing
A total of 18 credits will be offered as part of our cohort at a reduced tuition
- ED 625.200, Strategies and Resources in Teaching Reading
- ED 626.200, Diagnosis of Reading Difficulties
- ED 637.200, Practicum Part I: Reading Diagnosis and Instruction
- ED 638.200, Seminar in Reading Intervention Strategies
- ED 639.200, Psychological and Linguistic Foundations of Reading
- ED 636.200, Overview of Reading Interventions and 647, Lindamood Bell OR Orton Gillingham (both 1.5 credit courses)
How to Apply?
This cohort is available to the first 30 students to apply and be accepted. To apply, complete the cohort application/registration form and return it to the address below with a copy of your teacher certification, or a transcript from your most recently completed undergraduate or graduate course of study.
Graduate Programs in Education in the Welch Center
1021 Dulaney Valley Road, Baltimore, MD 21204
Ph: 410-337-6047 | Fax: 410-337-6085