Resources & Links
The Student Health Center provides students with free nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) products (gum and lozenges). To access these products, contact the Health Center at 410-337-6050. The Health Center also has an abundance of print resources and is available to speak with students about the benefits and challenges of quitting.
The Baltimore County Department of Health provides tobacco cessation education and assistance. Classes are available in various locations including Towson and Timonium. Register to attend a class.
The Maryland Department of Health’s Tobacco Quitline transfers callers to Quit Coaches for assistance in assessment and planning. The Quitline can be reached at 1-800-QUIT-NOW(784-8669) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Maryland’s free and confidential smoking cessation resource with videos, quizzes, local resources and other tools.
User-friendly site for support, tips, tools, and expert advice to help you quit.
American Lung Association site with tools, tips, and support if you want to stop smoking.
Goucher College’s health insurance plans through CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield offer certain preventive service benefits at no cost to covered members. This means that covered members don’t have to pay a copay or coinsurance, even if they haven’t met a deductible. A doctor must write a prescription for these preventive services to be covered by the plan, even if they are listed as over-the-counter. These no-cost benefits are part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and include:
- Generic nicotine replacement products ― patch, gum and lozenges
- Brand-name Nicotrol (nicotine inhalation system)
- Brand-name Nicotrol NS (nicotine nasal spray)
- Generic bupropion ― (generic of brand-name, Zyban) ― Zyban is NOT covered
- Brand-name Chantix (varenicline tartrate)
- Tobacco cessation examples (OTC and Rx)
- Bupropion HCl tab SR 12 hr 150 mg
- Chantix tab 0.5 mg and 1 mg
- Chantix tab 0.5 mg x 11 tabs and 1 mg x 42 pack
- Nicotine polacrilex gum 2 mg and 4 mg
- Nicotine polacrilex lozenge 2 mg and 4 mg
- Nicotine TD patch 24 hr 21 mg, 14 mg and 7 mg/24 hr
- Nicotrol inhaler system 10 mg
- Nicotrol NS nasal spray 10 mg/mL
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield also provides the QuitSmart Smoking Cessation program to CareFirst participants and their covered dependents age 18 and older. Please see the QuitSmart Member Flier (PDF) for more details about the program.
Contact HR at 410-337-6135 or email@example.com with questions about program eligibility.
- American College Health Association (ACHA) Position Statement on Tobacco on College
and University Campuses
ACHA has adopted a NO TOBACCO USE policy and encourages colleges and universities to be diligent in their efforts to achieve a 100% indoor and outdoor campus-wide tobacco-free environment.
List of Smoke-Free College and University Campuses (1,757 as of 01/02/17)
- American Cancer Society – How Tobacco and Smoking Affects Your Health
Information on tobacco and smoking and how they affect different groups of people