Center for Race, Equity, & Identity
The Center for Race, Equity and Identity (CREI) is dedicated to educational excellence within the Goucher community. The Center engages all students in social justice through educational and co-curricular opportunities through social justice, intersectionality and Critical Race Theory (CRT). CREI seeks to foster an environment in which marginalized and oppressed community members feel affirmed and comfortable exploring and expressing their identities.
Who We Serve
- Students of Color (Black, Latinx, Asian, Asian-Pacific Islander, Southeast Asian, Native/ Indigenous/1st Nation, biracial, and multiracial/mixed)
- First-generation students
- Socioeconomically disadvantaged students
- LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, and Asexual) students
- International students (Nonimmigrants, Immigrants, Undocumented, Third Culture Kids, and Americans Aboard)
- Disabled Students/Students with disabilities*
*CREI acknowledges that folxs within the community relate and identify with identity-first language (disabled) and/or person-first language (people with disabilities). As the center expands our language and resources, we will continue to review our terminology to best accurately represent and affirm the communities that we serve.
What We Do
- Group and one-on-one student advising and mentoring
- Community building and programming
- Educational workshops for students, faculty, and staff
- Collaboration with students to support student-led social justice programming
- We strive to improve the institutional advancement of all marginalized students, specifically students of color; first-generation and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged students; LGBTQIA students, international students and disabled students/students with disabilities.
- We affirm various marginalized communities while promoting equity, cultural pluralism through exploring notions of power, privilege and oppression.
- We seek to improve understanding within and between all student through dialogue and other intergroup experiences.
We are open 9:00am-6:00pm, Monday through Friday, in ATH 422. Come to relax, study, nap, cook food, or talk to one of our interns or staff members. Email us (email@example.com) or follow us on Facebook and Instagram.
- September 25, 2017
A monthly affinity space open to all LGBTQIA Goucher students, faculty, and staff. Join us as we come together to share space and celebrate our identities and community. Lite...
- Image associated with "First Year Lgbtqia Student Initiative Dinner: Navigating Identity at Goucher College at Batza Room of the Athenaeum"September 28, 2017
Please join us for the second First Year LGBTQIA Student Initiative Dinner in Batza on September 28, 2017 from 4:30 to 5:30. The topic of this dinner is navigating LGBTQIA...