The New Academic Center at Julia Rogers
With the Athenaeum's world-class library in place, Goucher had the opportunity to renovate the Julia Rogers building and turn it into a true 21st-century academic center: a place where science, humanities, and social science disciplines merge into one academic whole.
The existing academic facilities at Goucher College could not accommodate our growing enrollments and increased number of faculty members. The renovation of the 62,000-square-foot former Julia Rogers Library, now the Academic Center at Julia Rogers, provided the following:
- Technologically enhanced classrooms, laboratories, and offices for the social sciences (psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science, modern languages), the physical sciences (physics, math, computer science), and the Welch Center for Graduate and Professional Studies;
- Two passenger elevators and improved accessibility;
- An overhaul of the building's aging infrastructure, including heating/cooling, ventilation, electrical systems;
- Wiring for updated voice and data communications;
- Customized and interactive multimedia access; and
- A brand new entrance on the Loop Road side of the building.
Architect: Ziger/Snead LLP, Baltimore, MD