Goucher parents...welcome to the Career Development Office! We are eager to work with your students in every step of their career journey- from selecting a major to finding an internship or full time job. We hope that the resources on this page will help answer your questions about how our office works with students. Below, we also offer some ways you can help your student, as well as other Goucher students, as they launch their careers. If you have questions about other aspects of the College, please visit Goucher's parent resource page.
How the CDO Supports Student Development
Trying to choose a major and/or career can be a confusing and scary process for students. One of the best ways we have found for students to manage these concerns is by talking with the CDO staff to gain guidance on their options.
The CDO offers a variety of ways for students to interact with our office.
- Advising sessions: Through individual appointments, walk-in hours, and resume advising hours, students can find multiple ways to meet in-person with a member of the CDO staff. A schedule of our availability, as well as an online appointment request form, is available at the "About the CDO" page.
- Events: The CDO sponsors a range of events throughout the academic year. From our annual Business Etiquette Dinner to networking lunches and educational seminars, the CDO offers an engaging array of interactive activities for students.
- Job and internships announcements: Through Goucher Recruit, an online database of job and internships announcements, Goucher students are able to search for employment opportunities in their areas of interest.
- Student employment: For students interested in on or off campus employment, the CDO offers listings of job opportunities throughout the year. The CDO also coordinates the annual Campus Job Fair, held during schedule adjustment day before the start of fall semester.
- Library: The CDO's print library offers a wide range of resources students can use in their research.
- Social networking: We also maintain active profiles and content through Facebook (CDO-Goucher College), Twitter (CDOGoucher), and Wordpress (blogs.goucher.edu/cdo/). Our Facebook & Twitter pages relay information regarding upcoming events, important deadlines, and various jobs and internships that are posted through our office. We have added our blog as an additional resource filled with career related articles, highlights on CDO events, and motivational quotes focusing on all areas of career development from internships and job searching to interview skills and attire.
Listed below are the five primary areas in which we advise Goucher students. Please feel free to click on any of these links to get more information- both in terms of CDO services and policies as well as various online resources for students.
- Major & Career Exploration
- Student Employment
- Full Time Employment
- Graduate & Professional School
Ways to Support Your Student
We value the important role that parents play in the career development of their students. The encouragement that you offer is so important at this critical junction in your student's life. Below are some suggested ways that you can help your student throughout the career exploration process.
- be open to their ideas and interests
- ask good questions and listen carefully to their thoughts
- support their pursuit of their interests and passions- even if they're different from your own
- reflect back to your son or daughter what you hear them say and help them to clarify their priorities
- encourage your student to start the career exploration process early in their college years so they have a chance to explore different options
- share what you observe to be the unique talents and abilities of your daughter or son
- encourage your student to take advantage of the resources available at the CDO
- encourage your student to talk to people working in fields that interest them
- refer your student to anyone you might know (colleagues, neighbors, family, friends) who can help them in their exploration
- urge your student to build and maintain professional relationships with faculty, staff members, supervisors (in any job), and others they meet
Please note that the Career Development Office adheres to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) Regulations. Due to these regulations we are unable to discuss information about your student with you unless they have given permission. For more information about FERPA please visit the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) page.
Supporting the CDO
In addition to the role you play in your individual student's journey, we value the impact that parents can have on other Goucher students and our community. Below are three ways that you can help support the important work that we do.
Join the Goucher Professional Network (GPN) on LinkedIn.
The Goucher Professional Network (GPN) on LinkedIn is an online networking group that includes alumnae/i, students, faculty/staff, trustees, parents, and friends of Goucher. By facilitating professional connections among Goucher community members, the GPN brings together all those who understand how the Goucher experience can lead to fulfilling and meaningful opportunities on and off campus. Please visit the GPN webpage for more information on the network, as well as information on setting up a LinkedIn profile.
- Consider offering internships or full-time jobs to Goucher students at your place
If you work at an organization that hires interns or would consider hiring interns in the future, please contact us. We would be happy to talk with you about our internship program and to share internship postings with Goucher students. In addition, if you are aware of full-time job opportunities that might be well-suited to a Goucher graduate, please forward those job descriptions to our staff. You can reach us at 410-337-6191 or email@example.com.
- Participate in career education programs.
Throughout the year, the CDO coordinates programs to educate students about career exploration and job search preparation. We offer events such as our business etiquette dinner, career panels, job hunting workshops, and networking receptions. If you live in the Baltimore area and work in a field of interest to Goucher students, we may contact you to ask for your participation in one of our events.
Goucher Parent Career Volunteer Form
Career Development Office Disclaimer
Goucher College makes no representations or guarantees about positions listed by the Career Development Office (including part-time, full-time, or care giving employment opportunities and internships), either on the website or in the CDO office. Goucher is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to research the integrity and safety of the organizations to which they are applying. Students are advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization or a private party.
This web site also contains links to other web sites not under the control of the Career Development Office and we are not responsible for the contents of any linked site. The CDO provides these links only as a convenience and assumes assume no liability for acts or omissions by third parties or for any material supplied by them.