Goucher parents...welcome to the Career Development Office! We are eager to work with your students in every step of their career journey- from selecting a major to finding an internship or full time job. We hope that the resources on this page will help answer your questions about how our office works with students. Below, we also offer some ways you can help your student, as well as other Goucher students, as they launch their careers. If you have questions about other aspects of the College, please visit Goucher's parent resource page.
- How can the CDO help my student?
- How can I help my student?
- Where do Goucher graduates go?
- Can I volunteer to help other Goucher students?
How can the CDO help my student?
Trying to choose a major and/or career can be a confusing and scary process for students. One of the best ways we have found for students to manage these concerns is by talking with the CDO staff to gain guidance on their options. We offer a variety of resources that your student should take advantage of at various stages in his/her time at Goucher- please click on this link to learn more.
How can I help my student?
We value the important role that parents play in the career development of their students. The encouragement that you offer is so important at this critical junction in your student's life. Below are some suggested ways that you can help your student throughout the career exploration process. If you're interested in getting more information, please check out these additional resources for parents.
- be open to their ideas and interests
- ask good questions and listen carefully to their thoughts
- support their pursuit of their interests and passions- even if they're different from your own
- reflect back to your son or daughter what you hear them say and help them to clarify their priorities
- encourage your student to start the career exploration process early in their college years so they have a chance to explore different options
- share what you observe to be the unique talents and abilities of your daughter or son
- encourage your student to take advantage of the resources available at the CDO
- encourage your student to talk to people working in fields that interest them
- refer your student to anyone you might know (colleagues, neighbors, family, friends) who can help them in their exploration
- urge your student to build and maintain professional relationships with faculty, staff members, supervisors (in any job), and others they meet
***Please note that the Career Development Office adheres to FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) Regulations. Due to these regulations we are unable to discuss information about your student with you unless they have given permission. For more information about FERPA please click here.***
where do Goucher graduates go?
Goucher students, as well as alumna/i, have a wide array of professional interests. Following graduation, some individuals will pursue graduate-level education, while others will enter the workforce. For a brief snapshot of where Goucher students go following graduation, please take a look at the following documents:
can I volunteer to help other goucher students?
Absolutely! In addition to the role you play in your individual student's journey, we value the impact that parents can play in building opportunities available to all Goucher students. Below are three ways that you can help support the important work that we do.
Join the Goucher Professional Network (GPN) on LinkedIn.
The Goucher Professional Network (GPN) on LinkedIn is an online networking group that includes alumnae/i, students, faculty/staff, trustees, parents, and friends of Goucher. By facilitating professional connections among Goucher community members, the GPN brings together all those who understand how the Goucher experience can lead to fulfilling and meaningful opportunities on and off campus. Please visit the GPN webpage for more information on the network, as well as information on setting up a LinkedIn profile.
Consider offering internships or full-time jobs to Goucher students at your place of business
If you work at an organization that hires interns or would consider hiring interns in the future, please contact us. We would be happy to talk with you about our internship program and to share internship postings with Goucher students.
In addition, if you are aware of full-time job opportunities that might be well-suited to a Goucher graduate, please forward those job descriptions to our staff. You can reach us at 410-337-6191 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participate in career education programs
Throughout the year, the CDO coordinates programs to educate students about career exploration and job search preparation. We offer events such as our business etiquette dinner, career panels, job hunting workshops, and networking receptions. If you live in the Baltimore area and work in a field of interest to Goucher students, we may contact you to ask for your participation in one of our events.