Helping You...Help Students
As a faculty member, you play a critical role in the lives of our students. Students come to you with all types of questions including:
How do I choose a major?...What are my career options?...How do I begin the process of applying to graduate school?...How do I find an internship?...How do I look for a job once I graduate?...How do I write a resume or cover letter?...How do I prepare for an interview?
If you find yourself contemplating the best way to advise students on these questions, the CDO can help. We complement academic advising by providing information, services and resources that can assist students in finding the information they need to answer these and other career related questions.
Connect with the CDO
The following provides information on the ways that faculty can connect with the staff of the CDO.
- Schedule an appointment- CDO staff are happy to meet with you to discuss programming ideas and resources to assist your students. Our office is located in the Dorsey Center, next to Admissions.
- Give us a call- We also are happy to provide phone consultations for any questions or issues you may have about a student. You can contact us at 410-337-6191.
- Send us an email- Our general email account (email@example.com) is the best address to use for questions. You can also use the form included below.
- Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter, Join us on LinkedIn - There are many ways to stay up-to-date on the resources we have available for students along with programs, events, and deadlines that are of interest to students and alumnae/i. Click on the links below to access our pages.
Traci Martin, Director
Casey Miller, Associate Director for Alumni Career Programming
Meredith McCook, Associate Director of Career Development
Julie Elliott, Career Counselor
Michelle Stephey, Program Assistant
How the CDO Can Support Faculty
In addition to the support and guidance the CDO provides to Goucher students, we offer specific services and resources for our faculty colleagues.
We are happy to offer classroom presentations on topics ranging from resume writing to career exploration and job search tips. To request a classroom presentation, please complete this form. Once completed it will be automatically sent to the CDO and we will be touch with you soon after. We will do our best to accommodate your request, but we ask for several weeks notice prior to your desired date.
Annual CDO Events
The following CDO events are presented annually, and we welcome attendance from any faculty members who would like to learn more about our services.
- Campus Job Fair- Are you interested in hiring a Goucher student to work for your department? Offered at the beginning of fall semester, the Campus Job Fair provides a great opportunity to meet a large range of potential student employees. Contact the CDO over the summer to reserve a table.
- Grad School 101- For students interested in graduate school immediately after or a few years after graduation, Grad School 101 provides a foundation of the steps students need to take in order to appropriately prepare for the process of discovering best fit programs and acing the application process.
- Etiquette Dinner- Presented by an outside facilitator, this dinner is typically held in November and provides a tremendous array of helpful tips on dining etiquette and professional networking.
- Career Week- This week of events is dedicated to preparing students for part-time and full-time employment. From the basics of resume development, to mock interviews with alumni, and a formal career fair, this week has it all! *Typically held in February each year.
- Employer Information Sessions- Held throughout the academic year, these group tabling events expose students to employers in the area who are interested in working with them for internships and part-time or full-time employment.
Whether you have supervised dozens of internships or are serving as a faculty sponsor for the first time, the CDO is available as a resource for your questions. The CDO serves as the liaison between the internship site, student, faculty and Registrar for every academic internship. The CDO oversees the policies and standards set by Academic Policy Committee that all internships must abide by, as well as the paperwork (Internship Learning Agreements, or ILAs) and registration of internships. For more information and to download the necessary internship documents view the Academic Internship Policies and Forms page.
If you have questions about helping your advisee navigate the process or how to deal with a specific issue a student intern is experiencing, the CDO can offer support and guidance. Please contact Traci Martin, Director for Career Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The CDO assists students in locating internships. If you have information about an internship that you'd like to share, please contact us!
We welcome referral or consultation calls from faculty and staff who are working with students struggling to select a major or career. We also appreciate faculty referring employers to our office. Please give us a call (410-337-6191) if you would like to discuss a situation, or refer a student or employer to our office.
Career Development Office Disclaimer
Goucher College makes no representations or guarantees about positions listed by the Career Development Office (including part-time, full-time, or care giving employment opportunities and internships), either on the website or in the CDO office. Goucher is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or other aspects of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to research the integrity and safety of the organizations to which they are applying. Students are advised to use caution and common sense when applying for any position with an organization or a private party.
This web site also contains links to other web sites not under the control of the Career Development Office and we are not responsible for the contents of any linked site. The CDO provides these links only as a convenience and assumes assume no liability for acts or omissions by third parties or for any material supplied by them.