As a reflection of the value Goucher College places on global citizenship, we have launched the Ambassador Scholars Program to promote our campus as an ideal setting for international students to undertake a U.S. liberal arts education. This program offers a small, highly talented group of first-year international students the opportunity to receive a generous annual scholarship starting at $20,000 to attend Goucher College beginning with the Fall 2016 semester.
Goucher offers rigorous academics that support 33 majors ranging from biological sciences to business management, all of which result in four-year bachelor's degrees. We are most distinctly known as being the first college/university in the nation to require every undergraduate student to study abroad. A global perspective is critical for success in the 21st century, and our campus is full of culturally curious and internationally-aware students.
For years we have been sending our students into the world-now we want to bring more of the world to Goucher. International students help to create a campus environment that reflects today's society and world and provide all students with first-hand accounts of different cultures, governments, and histories. We believe this kind of cross-cultural learning environment enables all students-domestic and international-to comprehend world events and develop plans and solutions to address the most pressing world problems.
Goucher College's Ambassador Scholarship is a renewable annual award that covers up to eight semesters of Goucher study, as long as the student maintains a 2.75 (semester and cumulative) GPA. Students selected for the Ambassador Scholars Program will receive a scholarship that begins at $20,000. Ambassador Scholars with greater levels of financial need will be awarded additional grant funds, in varying amounts based on need, to help with room and board, books and supplies, and health insurance. Please click here for the fee schedule for the current academic year.
Students who apply must meet our admissions standards. Applicants must be non-U.S. citizens and may not hold U.S. dual citizenship. Eligibility includes non-U.S. citizen's studying in the United States as high school students.
Students interested in being members of the Ambassador Scholars cohort must complete the following:
- Common Application for admission by our December 1 Early Action deadline.
- Ambassadors Scholarship Application (completed online here)
- Short video (no more than two minutes) that responds to one of the prompts below
- Signed statement of academic integrity
We are truly excited to invite the world to join our bright, diverse, and internationally minded students.
We pride ourselves on the wide array of students who call Goucher home. Our students are innovators, change makers, activists, global citizens, and civic leaders-often all at once.
Tell us about how you fit into our community of learners, thinkers, and doers. For your video, please answer one of the following prompts:
- Describe an experience where you were unsuccessful in achieving your goal. What lessons did you learn from this experience?
- How has the neighborhood you've grown up in molded you into the person you are today?
- Imagine that you have written a 400-page autobiography of your life to this point. What would page 150 of that autobiography say?
- What movie, poem, musical composition, or novel has most influenced your life and the way that you view the world? Why?
- Your video should begin with a short clip of you in front of the camera saying, "Hi, my name is [insert name] from [insert hometown and country]."
- After that, what you choose to say and how you choose to say it is up to you. Simple and unvarnished is fine, but you can be creative.
- Videos will be evaluated using the criteria outlined below. Videos will not be evaluated for production quality, but you must limit your video to no more than 2 minutes.
Video Evaluation Criteria
Videos will be evaluated on the following criteria and given a mark on a scale of 1-5 (1 being absent and 5 being extraordinary).
|Criteria (Total points possible)||Definition|
|Content/Thoughtfulness (10 points*)
*Points are doubled for this section due to its importance
|Do we get a sense of who you are, a window to your world? Do you demonstrate you can think in-depth, and is your response well thought out?|
|Structure/Organization (5 points)||Are your ideas presented in a logical, interesting, or otherwise appropriate way? Can we see how your ideas are connected?|
|Clarity/Effectiveness (5 points)||Can we understand the thoughts you are trying to convey? Did we think you were convincing?|