At Goucher College, we take a global approach to education. We require all of our students to study abroad. We've designed our academic and co-curricular programs to give our students a strong sense of the global context of their studies. And we're striving to build a campus community that reflects the perspectives of people from all over the world.
Goucher College is a community of approximately 1,500 undergraduates, located on a sprawling 287-acre (116-hectare) campus just north of Baltimore, Maryland. At Goucher, you are not only close to the social, cultural and educational opportunities of Baltimore but we're within easy reach of New York City (about three hours away by train) and Washington, D.C. (about an hour).
First-Year International Student Application Requirements
International students must submit these required documents when applying as a first-year student. All documents must be translated to English.
- Application Form
- Supplemental Materials
- $55 application fee or waiver
- essay portion of the application form you choose
- secondary school transcript
- secondary school adviser report (this could be from a school counselor or administrator)
- academic teacher recommendation (English, math, science, foreign language or social studies)
- Certification of Finances form (PDF) required, with accompanying bank statements- must complete all sections of question 8
- CSS PROFILE - for students applying for need-based aid
- standardized testing official score reports: Goucher College is a test optional college and considers SAT and ACT scores. It's optional to submit scores from the SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT. Score reports should be submitted directly from the Educational Testing Service in Princeton, New Jersey (Goucher's CEEB code is 5257), or the American College Testing program in Ames, Iowa (Goucher ACT code is 1696).
- Applicants whose first language is not English are expected to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. Testing must be completed by February 1 of senior year. Students must have a score of 80 or higher on the TOEFL iBT (213 computer-based or 550 paper-based) or at least a 28 with no subsection score lower than 6.5 band score on the IELTS exam to be considered for admission to Goucher. Students who have attended a secondary school where English is the primary language of instruction are exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
Transfer International Student Application Requirements
If you're applying as an international transfer student, you must submit:
- Application Form
- Supplemental Materials (Required)
- $55 application fee or waiver
- essay portion of the application
- official university transcript(s)
- official course descriptions
- recommendation letter from a teacher or professor (English, math, science, foreign language or social studies)
- official secondary school transcript (for applicants who have attempted fewer than 30 university credits)
- Certification of Finances form (PDF), required, with accompanying bank statements
- CSS PROFILE — for students applying for need-based aid
- Applicants who are not native speakers of English are expected to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Testing must be completed by February 1 of senior year. Students should have a score of 80 or higher on the iBT to be considered for admission to Goucher
Deadlines for International Applications*
International applicants should follow the same deadlines as all other applicants, as follows:
Binding Early Decision
If you have identified Goucher College as your top choice, you should consider Early Decision. This is a binding admissions option, meaning that students who are admitted under this plan are required to withdraw all other college applications and are expected to enroll at Goucher.
- Application + supporting materials due November 15
- Notification mails December 15
- Candidate deposit due January 15
Non-Binding Early Action
If Goucher is one of your top choices, you should consider Early Action, a non-binding entrance plan.
- Application + supporting materials due December 1
- Notification mails February 1
- Candidate reply due by May 1
Non-Binding Regular Decision
- Application + supporting materials due February 1
- Notification mails by April 1
- Candidate reply due May 1
*All deadline dates are by 11:59 p.m. applicant's local time
In addition to recognizing the rigor of the IB curriculum in the admissions review process, Goucher will grant credit for examination scores of at least 5 in higher-level subject areas. Enrolling students will be placed in courses at the discretion of each department. Completion of a full IB curriculum may result in sophomore standing.
Goucher also recognizes academic work completed through such programs as the General Certificate of Education A-level, French Baccalaureate, and German Abitur for advanced credit.
Goucher College is a proud member of EducationUSA! EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department's network of over 400 advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States. To find a center near you, visit the EducationUSA website.