Goucher Prison Education Partnership Director of Advancement
The Goucher Prison Education Partnership (http://www.goucher.edu/GPEP), based in Towson and Jessup, Maryland (just outside of Baltimore), is accepting applications for a Director of Advancement. This is a unique opportunity to help build an emerging division of Goucher College offering men and women incarcerated in Maryland the opportunity to pursue a college education. This is also a chance to lead diverse coordinated fundraising efforts, building on your own and GPEP’s past successes. We’re seeking candidates with demonstrated success in advancement including frontline fundraising, project management, writing, and relationship-building. Ideal candidates will be:
- Self-starting leaders who enjoy developing a plan and turning it into reality
- Highly organized with a meticulous attention to detail
- Focused on results – you consistently set and achieve ambitious goals
- Resourceful – you find obstacles exciting because they give you an opportunity to develop a creative solution
- Persistent – you are known for your follow through
- Collaborative – you’re excited to pitch in wherever you can help and eager to create strong working relationships
- Communicative – you have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and delight in creating compelling content
The Goucher Prison Education Partnership Director of Advancement develops and implements GPEP’s fundraising strategy. You will:
- Create and implement a strategic plan to raise the financial support necessary for the Goucher Prison Education Partnership's operation. (Current annual budget is $600,000 per year plus operating reserve.)
- Cultivate and nurture meaningful relationships with stakeholders including individual donors, regional and national foundations, and other funders.
- Write compelling grant proposals and reports as well as related budgets and attachments. Accurately track timelines and ensure internal and external deadlines are met.
- Plan and manage GPEP's stakeholder and fundraising events. This includes house parties, stakeholder lunches and breakfasts, and GPEP's participation in larger events. Manage related follow up.
- Plan, create, and distribute communications to GPEP stakeholders and contacts to cultivate support for GPEP and increase understanding of our work. Update brochure and website collateral as needed. Create digital and print content, including mailings and emails to volunteers, alumni, donors, and prospective donors. (Completed with the support of Goucher Office of Communications.)
- Maintain accurate records of grants and donations. Acknowledge gifts and ensure Goucher's Office of Advancement has information needed to process and provide acknowledgment for gifts.
- Manage volunteer, staff, and partner participation in GPEP fundraising efforts. Widen and deepen relatonships with such stakeholders.
- Related responsibilities based on GPEP’s needs.
These responsibilities will be completed in coordination with the Goucher College Office of Advancement and the Goucher Prison Education Partnership Director.
Qualified candidates must have reliable access to transportation. Given the job responsibilities, the ability to obtain and maintain clearance at the prisons will also be a necessary condition of employment. A criminal background check and driving records check are required as a condition of employment. Qualified individuals directly impacted by the criminal justice system encouraged to apply. This position includes some evening as well as occasional weekend hours. This is a one-year position with the possibility of renewal at the end of the term.
Goucher College is committed to increasing the diversity of our community and seeks applicants dedicated to applying principles of equity and inclusion in all areas of the campus community. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity, we would love to hear from you! To apply or to learn more about additional opportunities with GPEP, visit http://goucher.interviewexchange.com
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please submit the following application materials online:
- Cover letter, with salary requirement
- Contact information for three professional references
Goucher College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Goucher Prison Education Partnership:
The Goucher Prison Education Partnership, a division of Goucher College, offers men and women incarcerated in Maryland state prisons the opportunity to pursue a Goucher College education. Goucher College’s mission is to provide a liberal arts education that prepares students within a broad, humane perspective for a life of inquiry, creativity, and critical and analytical thinking. Through GPEP, we offer this transformative liberal arts education to students who might not otherwise have access to it. We offer college courses on site and also provide college preparatory courses for prospective Goucher students at the prisons who need additional support to be ready for college coursework. In classes at the prisons, students are held to the rigorous academic standards for which Goucher is known. Courses are taught by Goucher College faculty as well as by outstanding professors from nearby colleges and universities. The entire Goucher academic community is enhanced and strengthened by the inclusion of these talented, dedicated students.
Goucher College, and the Goucher Prison Education Partnership, is also a leader in efforts to expand access to quality higher education. GPEP is a national model, seeking to transform the public conversation about the mutually reinforcing intergenerational cycles of poverty, incarceration, and limited educational opportunity.
About Goucher College:
Goucher College is a selective private liberal arts college dedicated to providing a multidisciplinary, international education. Goucher was recently ranked as one of U.S. News and World Reports ten most innovative colleges in the United States.